This week we were able to get most of the forms and beams in place to pour the first floor of the residential side of the building. In addition, all of the columns for the first floor of the guest side of the building have been set in concrete.
We also set two 70 centimeter concrete platforms for planter boxes directly above the basement and will have two more levels of planter boxes as we go vertical (between floor one and two, as well as the rooftop).
Off the rear of the building we set a platform for a concrete landing for steps that will lead to a rear corridor. From there guests can climb to two bedrooms and bathrooms above our living area or continue to the rooftop bar.
(The red arrow shows the concrete platform that will lead guests to a rear corridor.)
We also set two septic tanks in place but had to lift one back up 15 centimeters in order to create a gravity feed from the tanks to the rear waterway that feeds off of rice field overflows.
Not every week is dramatic visually. Sometimes the preparations seemingly slow down construction, but in reality the project still moves along in a timely manner.
This week the framing of the first floor (above the basement) of the residential side of the structure was laid out.
First the base of the support beams gets nailed from column to column. Then vertical stands bamboo are placed under the base of the beams, to withstand the upcoming weight of the concrete. Then wooden slats are laid from beam to beam, also supported by bamboo. Plywood is placed on the wooden slats and nailed into place, with space allowances for the cross beams (see photo). Finally two sets of wire mesh will be placed into the poured concrete that will become the first floor. A finished concrete coat will be applied right before we move in.
It’s an involved process to set up concrete flooring. It has been a mystery to me, with stands of bamboo seemingly in random places and the idea that eventually the concrete will harden and the bamboo removed.
But now I understand each step and of course there’s nothing random about it.
In addition the shallow pool extention was built. Two chaise lounge chairs will be placed in the shallow section, for relaxing pool use and also as a play area for little kids.
Finally, a large hole was started for two future septic tanks.
We were told that we should be able to move in by December, which would allow us to open to the public by Valentine’s Day. Hopefully!
A formula for success in the club-making business is: — find a magnificent cliff that’s not too far away from the crowds — spend ridiculous amounts of money and time creating an impossible perch for the bar — don’t cut corners on great sound and lighting systems — add some chill-out spots — add a swanky swimming pool — and then top it all off with awesome food and drink options
The “bar” is set very high in Bali for beach clubs, but bars situated on cliffs are a breed unto themselves.
This week was at least as productive as the others, although we were in Makassar for several days and didn’t see a bunch of the work that unfolded. Luckily a manager took photos and videos during the time we were gone, and so the following video shows the progress quite well.
We finished pouring the floor for the pool and are currently setting the forms for the pool walls. The first foundation wall is looking good, and the remaining holes are being filled with steel cages and columns. The structure will be on solid supports — 44 columns going 4-5 meters into the ground.
The well will be about 45 meters deep. So far we’re a bit less than half-way there.